TEAL Exhibitions

Decline in the Qing Dynasty (1644-1912)

In 1704, Pope Clement XI issued a decree to prohibit Chinese Christians from practicing Chinese rituals. Emperor Kang Xi and his successors began to expel missionaries from China. “The expulsion solidified China’s isolation from the rest of the world and thus left the Kaifeng Jews more alone than ever, for the European priests had been their only contact with the outside world.”

"The Kaifeng Jewish community ceased to function as a viable religious or collective entity in the second half of the nineteenth century, after the death of its last rabbi, the destruction of its unattended synagogue, and the sale of its holy books. By the end of the nineteenth century, all the holy scriptures and books were gone." In 1914, the site of the synagogue was finally sold to the Canadian Anglican Mission headed by Bishop White.  

(Contents on this page contains texts quoted from from Encyclopedia of Diasporas: Immigrant and Refugee Cultures Around the World and The Survival of the Chinese Jews: The Jewish Community of Kaifeng, and images from The Jews of Kaifeng: Chinese Jews on the Banks of the Yellow River and Wikipedia. For full bibliography information, please refer to the reference page. For single image source and metadata, please click the image.)